Strep throat is one of the most painful bacterial infections that many are suffering from. Some may experience sore throat and itchy throat, which they consider a sign and symptom of having a cough. Although it is possible, there could be chances that it can be worse than an ordinary cough. It can be a rough cough or a severe throat infection caused by bacteria. Throat infections can be of different kinds, such as sore throat, strep throat, colds, allergies, smoke, dry air, injury, and many others. To figure out which throat infections you are suffering from, you may take strep throat testing.
The strep throat emergency room is for patients who have a strep throat infection. It traces which throat infection you are suffering from. Whether you have a sore throat or strep throat, any of these can be diagnosed by taking strep, flu, and mono testing in San Antonio.
The symptoms of strep throat
The strep throat signs and symptoms are so much alike to an ordinary sore throat. However, the general strep throat shows like these:
- White patches on the tonsils
- It is a sore throat with no cold or cough symptoms
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Swollen and red tonsils
- Ear infections
- Tiny red spots and more
All these are signs and symptoms that you need to be aware of. Once you experience all these, take it seriously. To get strep throat testing helps to diagnose the infection for the doctor to prescribe medication.
The diagnosis and treatment
A quick strep test helps to look for antigens. A rapid strep test is the best way to diagnose and get immediate medication. A throat culture is done, which gives results within 1-2 days. Antibiotics are to be prescribed and you will feel better within 48 hours. But, it is essential to complete the full course of the prescription, don’t stop just because the symptoms subside. The most common prescription for strep throat are antibiotics, such as amoxicillin and penicillin. These are safe drugs and can’t be bought without any prescription from a doctor. Thus a strep throat test is very important for a doctor to give the right prescription to the patient.
The strep throat test
Getting a strep test for children is very easy. If you have a sore throat, the doctor wipes the back of the throat to test. The test is not painful and it only takes a few seconds. Therefore, children should not be afraid of the testing procedure. In the strep throat emergency room, a physical exam is conducted. There are several tests done for the procedure, such as:
- Throat culture. It is a sterile swab that is rubbed on the back of the throat to get a sample from the secretions. It doesn’t hurt or be painful but it causes gagging.
- Rapid antigen test. A rapid antigen test is conducted on a swab sample from the throat. The test can detect strep bacteria by looking for the substances in the throat. If the test has a negative result, yet strep is suspected by the doctor, a second test (throat culture) is conducted.
- Molecular test. The test is done using a swab sample from the throat.